Penguins Post-Series Commentary (Capitals)
By COMON Network Team
1/17 – Pittburgh Penguins (1-2-0, 2 pts) 4 def. Washington Capitals (2-0-1, 5 pts) 3 in a shootout.
The Penguins got their first win of the season via shootout against the Washington Capitals Sunday afternoon. After back-and-forth scoring and a very methodical overtime, the Penguins were able to overcome the Capitals after Jake Guentzel’s shootout goal and a save on Alex Ovechkin by Casey DeSmith to seal the deal.
1/19 – Pittsburgh Penguins (2-2-0, 4 pts) 5 def. Washington Capitals (2-0-2, 6 pts) 4 in OT
Back-to-back starts for Casey DeSmith and back-to-back overtime games in this series with the Penguins prevailing yet again. A shootout wasn’t needed this time around as the captain Sidney Crosby netted the game winner 1:11 into overtime.
The Capitals opened the scoring in the first. The Penguins finally answered late in the first with a goal from Sceviour. Not even 10 seconds later, the Capitals scored. Then again, Wilson with two to put Washington up 3-1. Jake Guentzel then scored his first of the season to make it 3-2. Followed by another Washington goal by Kuznetsov which would be their last of the game to take a 4-2 lead.
The Penguins started their trek back with a rare 5 on 3 short-handed goal by Teddy Blueger with the assist coming from the stick of goalie Casey DeSmith. Evgeni Malkin tied the game with his first of the season with under three minutes left. Which led to overtime and the Sidney Crosby game winning goal in overtime.
The Penguins will host the New York Rangers Friday and Sunday. Puck drop at 7 p.m. for both tilts.
COMON Network Team Commentary
- Game one off to a great start. One thing the Penguins sometimes do when they score in the first minute and not score again for the rest of the game. Why? I don’t know, but Washington answered and gritty goal around the 8th. No real blame there.
- I think DeSmith in net was the right move but it makes me upset that Murray is gone.
- The digital ad by the blue line is a genius move by NBC.
- Ah, Pettersson. This might be the new guy to get torn apart. He was bad last year. But Jack Johnson was horrid.
- Twice now the Pens have capitalized on a goalie mistake and scored an empty net so I’d say that’s a good thing.
- Too many penalties.
- Okay I take back what I said about Pettersson. What a goal. Wow.
- Pens were BUZZING in overtime but couldn’t get it done. Why would Letang start the shootout? Dumb. Guentzel is Good. Ovi choked. We live for this. 1 win down. LGP.
- Game two, another overtime and another win.
- Kapanen being in 4th line is disappointing but hopefully they’ll get him to the 1st line soon. DeSmith getting another start over Jarry is just wow.
- The Penguins already at 14 Man Games Lost…
- Kapanen with an assist and before I can even type my excitement… 8 seconds later Caps are back in the lead. Terrible. Tom Wilson should not be scoring goals. No goaltending. No defense means long season.
- Teddy Blueger with a 5 on 3 SHORT HANDED GOAL!!! Are you kidding me?! Then Geno to make it 4-4!!!! COMON.
- O CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN – Sidney Crosby with the overtime winner. What a game. What a series. What a team.
- They looked much better this series than they did against Philly. I’m looking forward to the Rangers series this weekend. DeSmith should be in net. It would be great to sweep another series.
3 Stars of the Series – 3. Teddy Blueger (PIT); 2. Sidney Crosby (PIT); 1. Casey DeSmith (PIT)
- Man the Pens had to earn being in both of these, and I’m not sure whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Early deficits, two-goal deficits, goaltending that was not great for the most part and injuries in the second of these two games. Good for them getting both wins after a VERY ugly start to the year in Philadelphia.
- Secondary and tertiary scoring is great unless it becomes the primary scoring. Good to see 59, 71 and 87 scoring goals in the second game tonight.
- I wonder if Mike Sullivan sticks with DeSmith against the Rangers Friday or goes back to Tristan Jarry. Casey DeSmith certainly didn’t dazzle in either of these two games but he was good enough down the stretch of both to win.
- The overtime rule of the losing team getting a point is still the dumbest rule in sports besides the dropped third strike in baseball and fumbling through the end zone being a touchback in football.
3 Stars of the Series: 3. Colton Sceviour (PIT); 2. Sidney Crosby (PIT); 1. Teddy Blueger (PIT)
- The first sign of life from this team! Back to back wins in extra time, with the man himself Sidney Crosby doing what Sidney Crosby does. To no surprise, he has been the best player on the team to start the season, and absolutely needs to stay healthy in this shortened season for the Pens to have a chance at the playoffs.
- Well this early start certainly is pointing to another stretch of hockey where the fans, players, and coaches have no idea who the starting goaltender is. That was a fun game to play last season, the season before, and even the season before that. Why not do it again?!
- Defense…yikes. Let’s get it together please. I thought the departure of Jack Johnson was supposed to help this D-core, and this early start really shows no difference.
3 Stars of the Series: 3. Casey DeSmith (PIT); 2. Evgeny Kuznetsov (WAS); 1. Sidney Crosby (PIT)